Friday, November 13, 2009

This was a nice way to start off the day. Sunrise. Approximately 630 AM.


I started work in the afternoon today so I decided to go for a ride in Manoa (Ma-no-ah) this morning. On my agenda was: pick up some produce from the small farmers market that takes place every Tuesday and Thursday; and ride around University of Hawaii's campus. For the past day or two rain has been in the forecast, but if you take a look at the pictures, there's not a rain cloud in site (at least in this part of the island). Lucky. A little lightning tonight, but no real down pours here in Aiea (eye-ay-ah) yet. Flash flood watches are in effect till tomorrow though.
Due to Hawaii's nice weather, which I am very grateful for, farmers are able to grow year-round and farmer's markets are able to be held year-round. I've been fed up with the wimpy stuff that some super markets put out for their produce. I was getting a little but paying a lot. It was also attributed to the fact that I was lazy and wanted the convenience and location of the "supermarket." I'm a big fan of sustainability and supporting the local economy. I took a step back and applied the saying "if it is to be, it is up to me." I got my lazy butt in gear and have been putting forth an effort to do my part. The results have been: fresh produce, a lot for a little, a great experience, great conversations with the growers and sellers of their produce and products, and piece of mind.
Here are photos of the farmer's market at Manoa Market Place. I ended up getting the following (all for $19): Roma tomatoes, Jalapeno peppers, a bag of grape tomatoes, a bag of lettuce, basil, cilantro, mushrooms, japanese cucumber, corn, and onions.










Rode through the Manoa campus of UH. It was more of a recon mission to see the who's, what's, where's, and how's of the campus.


I didn't get many pics, but I took a short time-lapse video of the "mall" on campus. Check it out:



It was nice to see bikes, and a lot of them all around campus. A lot!
Riding around Manoa I found some ducks just cruising in the stream...
The Roll taking a rest in Manoa Valley without a cloud in the sky...
Here's the view I had riding around the Manoa neighborhood.

The weekend is coming up so stay tuned for adventures...




1 comment:

  1. LOL @ your recently tweeted video of you biking around Waikiki! Love it. The funny part is, I had to climb up and walk back up to shore on that first pier you passed when I got dragged out in a riptide as a kid. Thought I was going to float back to LA! Anyway, nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete