Sunday, November 1, 2009

Let The Experience Begin...



Whaaaaaat's happening people!

Alright, here's the deal: The Globe Experience project has launched, but I'm still waiting on my bike to be built. But that doesn't mean I'm going to put the "Will be back at..." sign up and have you check back later. So while I'm waiting for my local bike shop, appropriately called "The Bike Shop" to contact me, I'll begin with an introduction and a preview of what's to come.

My name is Wesley Sato, like Sato from Karate Kid 2, but my friends call me Wes. Unlike Sato from Karate Kid 2 and his ability to call people "coward" and chop a block of wood with his bare hand; I'm a 27 year old dentist from Aiea, Hawaii. I was born and raised on Oahu; attended Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska for undergrad and dental school; and currently practice dentistry in a city called Kaimuki (Kai-moo-key) (towards the mountains if you're laying on Waikiki beach). Check it out here on a map. I live in a city 12 miles to the west called Aiea (Eye-ay-ah) (towards the mountains if you're at the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor). Check it out here on a map. Some of these Hawaiian words can get a person a little tongue twisted so I'll do my best to include a phonetic spelling.

I've been very fortunate to have been given the opportunity by the folks at Globe to participate in their Experience Project. Hawaii is one of the most expensive places in the United States to live. Gas prices as of right now average $3.27 for a gallon of regular!!! The population and number of cars on the road are growing, but we live on an island! It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to drive 12 miles (Aiea to Kaimuki) in rush hour traffic. Not only does that hurt financially, but the environment takes a BIG hit also. Right about the time I looked into investing in a commuter bike to enable me to at the least, use my car sparingly/become car minimalist, I came across the Experience Project. I was looking to incorporate a bike into my lifestyle, and why not share my experiences and a little bit of Hawaii with the blog world is what I thought. Now here I am willing and ready to bring you folks Hawaii; and its people, places, food, culture, and lifestyle.

The folks at Globe hooked me up with a Roll2. I'm still thinking of a picture for my badge. Any suggestions? I've been mapping out/planning routes to go here and go there... Unfortunately, some of Oahu's roads are not very bike friendly and for some of my excursions I will need to use my car sparingly. With the help of pictures and video, I will be bringing you a glimpse of Hawaii, it's people, places, food, culture, and lifestyle.

Stay tuned for my experiences on my Roll! I'm going to "roll" out of here and leave you folks with this...




































BOO!













Fixed















Underground parking structures that charge you by the hour...


















Scary guy on stilts










H1N1 "you don't want it..."










Where The Wild Things Are

















Ken and Barbie



















Body paint and Airbrush











































Even the dogs came out for the block party!


















The "full effect" in a dark alley.



















Balloon Boy. His sign reads: "Have you seen my Falcon? ...I've already looked in the closet."



































Bunnies














Jellyfish and Octopus




Mario Kart!


Bearded lady


Hula Hooping in the streets of Chinatown.



Smurfs!



Dressed the part and doing his part to Recycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment